As part of our commitment to keeping children in our clubs safe, Code Club asks that all of our volunteers and club organisers obtain any local background checks necessary to work with children.
We created this guide to provide relevant advice for the regions currently served by the codeclub.org website. If you already have a valid background check, let the club organiser at the venue know and share the relevant documents with them to confirm whether you will need to complete any additional checks.
If you have any questions about getting a background check, you can contact us at email@example.com
STEM Ambassadors is a volunteering programme for STEM professionals and those with a personal interest in STEM subjects. You can volunteer for Code Club as part of your ambassadorship.
- Apply to be an Ambassador online.
- A free DBS check will be completed as part of your STEM Ambassador application.
- Present your DBS form and ID at your STEM Ambassador induction session.
England and Wales
30% of our volunteers in England and Wales apply for their DBS check through a third-party company called GB Group using the following steps:
- Email your full name to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a check.
- Our support team will generate an email with details of your application.
- Complete a simple form online.
- Take your identity documents to a participating Post Office to be checked.
- Pay a £17.40 admin fee at the Post Office.
- Receive your DBS statement in the post within a few weeks.
In Northern Ireland, you can apply for an enhanced AccessNI check through your local Volunteer Centre or through a local umbrella body, or you can go to AccessNI directly for more information. Alternatively, you can apply via the STEM Ambassador scheme.
In India, background checks may vary by state and venue. Once you identify a Code Club where you’d like to volunteer, contact the club organiser to ask about their requirements for a background check.
Republic of Ireland
In the Republic of Ireland, you can apply for your background check (called Garda Vetting) through the venue at which you will volunteer.
In the USA, background check processes vary by state and school. Once you identify a Code Club where you’d like to volunteer, contact the club organiser to ask about their requirements for a background check.